Harav Elchanan Halpern, zt”l

(Hamodia Staff) -
reb chuna cropped
Harav Elchanan Halpern. (Shuli Smus Photography)

 

As we went to press, Klal Yisroel and London Jewry in particular, were plunged into deep mourning upon hearing of the histalkus of the Nasi of the UOHC, and one of the last links to the vanished world of pre-War Europe, Harav Elchanan Halpern, zt”l, at the age of 93.

Harav Halpern was born in 1922 in Kashau, then in Czechoslovakia. His father, Harav Dovid Halpern, was the rav of Dobshitz, and his mother, Mindel, was the daughter of one of the gedolei haposkim, Harav Shmuel Engel, the Radomishle Rebbe.

At the age of 15, Harav Halpern, a talmid of the Koloshitzer Rav, Harav Chuna Halberstam, Hy”d, came to London, where he became a talmid muvhak of the Shotzer Rav, Harav Sholom Moskovitz, zt”l, in Stamford Hill.

Over the years, Harav Halpern was instrumental in establishing mosdos haTorah, including Pardes House School, and being mechazek the kehillah. He was the Nasi of the UOHC and the rav of Kehillas Beis Shmuel.

Harav Halpern is survived by sons and daughters, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

A full tribute will iy”H appear next week.