Liberman: Israel Not Bound by Syrian Ceasefire Arrangement

YERUSHALAYIM -
Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman said on Sunday night that Israel will retain full freedom of action regarding any threat from Syria, regardless of the U.S-Russian brokered cease-fire.

“Israel reserves its complete freedom of action, regardless of any understandings or developments,” Liberman was quoted as saying by The Jerusalem Post. “We retain exclusive responsibility for the security of Israeli citizens, and therefore our freedom of action is absolute. We will do everything that is needed.”

Liberman added that the Israeli government is meanwhile studying the understandings reached between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin concerning the cease-fire.

At the weekly cabinet meeting earlier in the day, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said that Israel would welcome a genuine cease-fire in Syria, but that it must not “enable the establishment of a military presence by Iran and its proxies in Syria in general and in southern Syria in particular.

Netanyahu has said that he discussed matter last week with both Putin and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. “Both told me that they understand Israel’s position and will take our demands into account,” he said.