Poll: Arab, Jewish Israelis Differ on How Much Anti-Semitism Motivates Erdogan


An Israeli poll of public perceptions of Turkish policy toward Israel turned up some surprising results, revealing that Arabs’ have a darker view of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s motivations than Jews, The Jerusalem Post reported.

The study, conducted by the Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies, found that some 23 percent of Israeli Arabs believe that Erdogan is driven by anti-Semitism, whereas only  5 percent of Israeli Jews thought so.

The poll did say that most Israeli Arabs and Jews do believe Turkish prestige in the Arab world was the leading factor behind Erdogan’s hostility toward Israel.

On the issue of Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s apology to Turkey for the 2010 Mavi Marmara incident, not surprisingly, an overwhelming 71% of Israelis said they did not feel was justified.

Also, according to the survey, only 28% of Israelis believe that Israeli-Turkish ties will improve in the near forseeable future under Erdogan.

While 42% of the respondents said they expected the relations to stay the same, 30% predicted they would further deteriorate.

According to the survey, 85% of Israelis said the chances that they would vacation in Turkey anytime soon were small or nonexistent; 5% said there was a good to certain chance that they would visit; and 10% said they might.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!