Israeli security officials attributed the firing of four rockets by Gaza terrorists at Israel Wednesday afternoon to rogue terrorists who acted without direction from commanders in Hamas or Islamic Jihad, but a report in a Lebanese newspaper Thursday said that Gaza terror groups had decided to restart their attacks on Israel, after a hiatus of over a month.
The report in the Lebanese al-Ahbar newspaper said that Hamas and Islamic Jihad had decided to step up their attacks in order to pressure Israel, which they believe has been dragging its feet on a deal for a long-term ceasefire. Under that deal, Israel will issue thousands of work permits to Gaza residents, ease restrictions on imports to Gaza, and help develop infrastructure. Hamas will prevent rocket attacks on southern Israel and limit riots along the Gaza border fence. That latter condition has already been fulfilled, with the terror group holding demonstrations on a monthly instead of a weekly basis.
IDF planes struck targets in Gaza overnight Wednesday in response to the attack earlier in the day. Red Alert sirens went off Wednesday afternoon in numerous Gaza border communities as four Gaza rockets were fired at Israel. Two of them were destroyed by Iron Dome defense missiles, while two fell in open areas. B’chasdei Shamayim, there were no injuries or damage reported.
In a statement, the IDF said that “the IDF takes attacks on Israeli territory very seriously, and will continue to act as needed to prevent harm to Israelis. Hamas is responsible for all terror that emanates from Gaza, and will bear the consequences of any attacks on Israelis.”