ISIS in Egypt Says It Has Killed A Croatian Man

CAIRO (TNS) -

The Egyptian affiliate of the Islamic State group on Wednesday posted a gruesome online image purportedly showing the dead body of a Croatian man who was abducted last month on the outskirts of Cairo. The caption accompanying the image identified the slain man as Tomislav Salopek, a Croatian national, and said he was executed “for his country’s participation in the war” against Islamic State.

The Sunni Muslim extremist group has sought in recent months to expand its reach beyond its base in Iraq and Syria, carrying out mass killings of Egyptian and Ethiopian Christians in Libya and claiming responsibility for a string of attacks elsewhere, including a gunman’s rampage at a Tunisian beach resort in June that left more than three dozen European tourists dead.

The group’s Egyptian franchise, which calls itself Sinai Province, has previously claimed responsibility for beheadings of accused “spies” in the restive peninsula, but this would be its first known killing of a Western captive on Egyptian soil.