All soccer in Egypt was postponed indefinitely on Monday after at least 19 people were killed following clashes between fans and police outside a stadium in Cairo on Sunday.
A Health Ministry spokesman told Reuters by phone the final toll was 19 dead, but the public prosecutor’s office said there were 22 fatalities while locals said they have “28 martyrs till now”.
The deaths occurred when fans were crushed in a stampede after police fired tear gas at supporters attempting to get into the stadium.
Soccer matches are often a flashpoint for trouble in Egypt, where 72 fans were killed at a match following politically-motivated violence in Port Said in February 2012.
Since then Egypt has curbed the number of people allowed to attend, and supporters have often tried to storm stadiums they are banned from entering.