An indictment was filed yesterday against an Arab resident of Yerushalayim who broke a chareidi teenager’s skull with a wooden bat on Erev Shavuos, as the boy was on his way to the Kosel, Arutz Sheva reports.
Yusuf Huleisi, 28, was arrested last Tuesday on suspicion of carrying out the attack. In the request for an indictment, Yerushalayim District Attorney Shmuel Barzilai said that Huleisi has a criminal record for possession of a knife and involvement in skirmishes.
He pointed to the overwhelming evidence presented by witnesses and video footage.
The indictment says that the 17-year-old chareidi youth was on his way to the Kosel with a group of friends at 6:30 p.m. last Tuesday, just before the start of Shavuos.
The youth, who was hit on the head with a wooden bat, suffered a depressed skull fracture, wounds to his scalp, and intracranial hemorrhaging. He was evacuated to Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital for treatment.
Attorney Itamar Ben-Gvir noted how things would have been different if Jews had been the attackers.
“If this had occurred in the opposite manner, the entire agenda in Israel would have been preoccupied with only this issue,” he said. “The media would have spread on thick the red titles, the police would be conducting arrests, and [Justice Minister] Tzipi Livni and [President] Shimon Peres and even the prime minister would have been condemning it.
“But when a Jew suffers a bat to the head, the media is silent.”