Anti-Israel Encampment Cleared at Drexel University as Students Demand Closure of Chabad and Hillel

Philadelphia Police bicycle officers and Drexel University police at perimeter of anti-Israel encampment as protestors left Drexel early Thursday. (Alejandro A. Alvarez/The Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS)

PHILADELPHIA (The Philadelphia Inquirer/TNS/Hamodia) — In the early hours of Thursday morning, Drexel University and Philadelphia police arrived at the anti-Israel encampment at Drexel, asking protesters to evacuate the premises. Students were demanding that the university call Israel’s war against the Hamas terror group in Gaza a “genocide,” and that Chabad and Hillel must shutter, among other demands.

Protesters left on their own accord and no arrests were made.

Around 5:20 a.m., dozens of police officers on bikes arrived at the Korman Family Quad, as protesters hustled to gather their belongings — carrying with them multiple coolers, trash bags, and backpacks. A few folding chairs and tables, a plant, cardboard boxes, and bags were all that was left of the 35-tent Drexel encampment by 5:45 a.m.

In less than 30 minutes protesters abandoned the site and gathered briefly on the corner of 33rd and Market Streets to reorganize.

Protesters did not immediately speak to a request for comment. “For now the encampment is closed,” an encampment spokesperson told The Inquirer.

Drexel police ordered the encampment to disband, with the Philadelphia Police Department on site to assist, according to Philadelphia Police Sgt. Eric Gripp.

“While Drexel University is committed to protecting the right of its community members to assemble peacefully and express their views, I have the responsibility and authority to regulate campus gatherings in order to ensure everyone’s safety and well-being and to fulfill our mission to educate our students,” Drexel’s president John A. Fry said in a statement Thursday morning.

“Since there will be increased police activity around Korman Quad at this time, I ask that you avoid the area between 32nd and 33rd Streets and Chestnut and Market Streets this morning until I send word that it has been secured.”

He called the encampment, which he said has large numbers of people who are not affiliated with Drexel, illegal.

“The language and chants coming from this demonstration, underscored by protesters’ repugnant “demands,” must now come to an end,” Fry said. “Moreover, our Public Safety personnel have been diverted from their work to serve and protect our entire Drexel community. That is unacceptable.”

Fry wrote that the university has repeatedly asked for the protesters to leave, but at least until Thursday morning, they have not.

“We are taking every precaution to ensure an orderly and peaceful evacuation of the encampment,” Fry said.

The encampment began on Saturday with about a dozen tents that protesters set up on the Korman Quad after a march from Center City commemorating what many Palestinians and Arabs refer to as the “nakhba,” or the “calamity,” referring to the war that Arab nations lost following the establishment of the state of Israel.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!