U.N. Security Council Schedules Emergency Meeting Following Iran’s Attack on Israel

By Yoni Weiss

Israeli Ambassador to the United Nations Gilad Erdan speaks during a Security Council meeting at United Nations headquarters, March 22. (AP Photo/Yuki Iwamura)

The United Nations Security Council is set to convene an emergency session on Sunday to address Iran’s recent large-scale assault on Israel, which involved over 300 drones and missiles. This marks Iran’s first direct large-scale assault on Israeli territory.

Israel has called for this urgent Security Council meeting to strongly condemn Iran’s actions. In his communication to the Council’s current president, Maltese Ambassador Vanessa Frazier, Israeli Ambassador Gilad Erdan urged that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) be officially labeled as a terrorist organization.

Erdan highlighted the gravity of the situation, stating, “Iran’s attack poses a significant threat to global peace and security, and their public acknowledgment of the attack represents a serious and dangerous escalation.” He further noted that the attack blatantly contravenes the U.N. Charter and international law, urging the Security Council to act decisively against the Iranian threat.

The drones involved in the attack were intercepted by the U.S. and Jordanian militaries outside Israeli airspace, while Israel’s Arrow-3 air defense system successfully neutralized numerous ballistic missiles.

The attack resulted in minor injuries, with a 10-year-old Bedouin girl being hurt by missile debris near Arad in the Negev. The nearby Nevatim Air Force base experienced slight damage but continued operations, as evidenced by footage of active jets at the site.

Sirens alerted residents to seek safety in Yerushalayim, northern Israel, and the Negev, a measure necessary due to the high-altitude interception of ballistic missiles, which can scatter shrapnel over a broad area.

This emergency meeting follows Iran’s pledge to retaliate for an April 1 airstrike on its embassy in Damascus, which resulted in the deaths of IRGC Quds Force commander Brigadier General Mohammad Reza Zahedi and seven other officers.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!