Mainland China Virus Cases Rise Again, 60 More on Ship

In this Sunday photo released by Xinhua News Agency, doctors scan a patient’s lungs at the Huoshenshan temporary hospital, built for patients diagnosed with coronavirus, in Wuhan, in central China’s Hubei province. (Gao Xiang/Xinhua via AP)

China reported a rise in new virus cases on Monday, possibly denting optimism that its disease control measures like isolating major cities might be working, while Japan reported dozens of new cases aboard a quarantined cruise ship.

The mainland death toll rose by 97 to 908, and 3,062 new cases were reported on the mainland over the 24 hours through midnight Sunday. That was up 15% from Saturday and broke a string of daily declines. A government spokesman had said Sunday those declines showed containment measures were working.

Japanese health officials said about 60 more cases were found aboard the Diamond Princess, in addition to 70 cases found earlier among 3,711 passengers and crew. Health Ministry officials were double-checking the results and could not immediately release the exact figure.

Japan’s Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said the government was considering testing everyone aboard, which would require them to remain on the ship until results are available. Health authorities also are scrambling to deliver medicine requested by more than 600 passengers.

“We are doing the utmost to keep everyone in good health,” Kato said.

The fatality toll from the new virus has passed the 774 people believed to have died in the 2002-03 epidemic of severe acute respiratory syndrome, another viral outbreak that originated in China. The total of 40,171 cases on the mainland of the new virus vastly exceeds the 8,098 sickened by SARS.

More than 360 cases have been confirmed outside mainland China, including two deaths in Hong Kong and the Philippines.

China has built two hospitals and sent thousands of extra doctors, nurses and other health care workers to Wuhan, the city of 11 million people in central Hubei province that is the epicenter of the outbreak. Most access to Wuhan was suspended Jan. 23 and restrictions were expanded since then to cities with a total of 60 million people.

Businesses are gradually reopening following the Lunar New Year holiday, which was extended to discourage travel in an attempt to contain the virus, but they face heavy losses.

With temperatures rising and snow melting, the capital Beijing began coming back to life, although with strict epidemic-control measures still in place. At the popular Sanyuanli wet market, face-masked customers mixed with delivery men collecting orders of meat, fruit and vegetables for city dwellers preferring to prepare meals at home rather than venture out to restaurants or take delivery of precooked food.

Apartment blocks and gated communities have blocked direct delivery, requiring bags of goods be left with guards or in lockers set up at entrances by the major delivery firms.

Market stalls remained well-stocked with fresh meat, seafood and vegetables, and there appeared to be no shortage of paper towels, toilet paper or cleaning supplies. While traffic had increased from last week, there were still far fewer cars on the road and people on the subways.

Meanwhile, the mother of a physician who died last week in Wuhan said in a video released Sunday she wants an explanation from authorities who reprimanded him for warning about the virus in December.

The death of Li Wenliang, 34, prompted an outpouring of public anger. Some postings left on his social media account said officials should face consequences for mistreating Li.


To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!