The United States is not pursuing a policy of regime change in Iran, White House National Security Adviser John Bolton said on Thursday.
During a visit to London, Bolton also told reporters the threat from Iran was not over but that the quick response and deployment from the United States had helped deter it.
The U.S. military has sent forces, including an aircraft carrier and B-52 bombers, to the Middle East in a move that U.S. officials said was made to counter “clear indications” of threats from Iran to American forces in the region.
U.S. Special Representative for Iran Brian Hook said on the news conference call that the United States will respond with military force if its interests are attacked by Iran.
Hook spoke to reporters ahead of emergency summits of Arab leaders in Saudi Arabia due on Thursday to discuss drone strikes on oil installations in Saudi and attacks on four vessels, including two Saudi oil tankers, off the UAE coast earlier this month.
Tehran has denied involvement in either attack.