Twenty-eight people were killed and 61 injured in a bomb attack in the Turkish capital Ankara on Wednesday, government spokesman Numan Kurtulmus said, adding the government has no information yet on who was responsible for the blast.
The explosion, which happened close to parliament, government buildings and Turkey’s military headquarters. A vehicle laden with explosives detonated as military buses passed near the armed forces’ headquarters, during the height of evening rush hour, an attack the Turkish military said was an act of terrorism.
Turkish broadcaster NTV said the explosion happened near a passing van carrying military personnel. Footage from CNN Turk showed a large plume of black smoke rising over the city.
Turkish Prime Minister Davutoglu has cancelled a planned trip to Brussels following the explosion, said an official in the prime minister’s office.
A blast in Ankara last year killed more than 100 people.