French President Honors Charlie Hebdo, Kosher Market Victims

PARIS (AP) -
French President Francois Hollande (C) speaks with officials during a ceremony to unveil a commemorative plaque at the site where policeman Ahmed Merabet was killed during the last year's January attack in Paris, France, January 5, 2016. France this week commemorates the victims of last year's Islamist militant attacks on satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and a Jewish supermarket with eulogies, memorial plaques and another cartoon lampooning religion. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier
French President Francois Hollande (C.) speaks with officials during a ceremony  Tuesday to unveil a commemorative plaque at the site where policeman Ahmed Merabet was killed during last year’s January attack in Paris, France. (Reuters/Benoit Tessier)

French President Francois Hollande is honoring 17 victims killed in Islamic terror attacks on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, a kosher market and police a year ago this week, unveiling plaques around Paris marking the violence that ushered in a tumultuous year.

The ceremonies Tuesday come as Charlie Hebdo is releasing a special anniversary issue.

Families of victims joined Hollande and other dignitaries near the building where Charlie Hebdo staff were holding an editorial meeting on January 7, 2015, when two heavily armed brothers stormed in killing 11 people. The plaque begins: “To the memory of victims of the terrorist attack against freedom of expression.”

They then paid homage to a police officer killed as he tried to chase down the fleeing gunmen. Spraypainted on the sidewalk was a message of support for the Muslim officer, in the red, white and blue of the French flag.

Hollande also paid homage to the four people, Jews, Hy”d, killed at a kosher supermarket in an attack that revived concerns about anti-Semitism in the country with Europe’s largest Jewish community.

The widow of a bodyguard killed at Charlie Hebdo said on RTL radio Tuesday that she wants an investigation into security measures at the paper. Ingrid Brinsolaro said her husband “saw dysfunctions” and a lack of security in the office and “it was impossible to do his job correctly in these conditions.”

Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said he was open to the idea of an investigation, but also defended the government’s efforts to ensure security. Also speaking on RTL radio, he said authorities have dismantled 18 recruitment networks and arrested 11 groups planning attacks, and thwarted six attacks since last spring.

The country remains under a state of emergency after Nov. 13 terror attacks that killed 130 people, and extra security was on hand for Tuesday’s commemorations.