Mispallelim at French Shul Sickened After Poison Is Spread on Lock

Fourteen mispallelim at a French shul were sickened on Monday after the shul’s electronic lock was daubed with poison, reported The Jewish Chronicle Online.

Emergency personnel were called to the shul in Bonneuil-sur-Marne, in the southeastern suburbs of Paris, after mispallelim who showed up for Maariv reported a burning sensation in their eyes and itchy rashes on their skin.

The substance, which was described as a “nonlethal irritant,” was sent to a police forensic lab for analysis.

The shul is under protection of police and military personnel when it is open. It is believed that the substance was spread on the lock when the shul was closed.