Dorm Damaged in Fire at Yeshivah Chaim Berlin

FLATBUSH

Yeshivas Rabbeinu  Chaim Berlin was reopened for shiurim and davening Thursday morning following a fire the night before that is being blamed on electrical wires. One person, near the circuit at the time of the malfunction, was injured but was doing better after he was released from the hospital Thursday afternoon.

The dormitory buildings, which were heavily damaged in the Wednesday-evening blaze, remained closed. Officials at the yeshivah, which is located on Coney Island Avenue near Locust Avenue said it was not yet known when the more than 100 bachurim who sleep there would be able to re-enter.

The injury occurred when an electrical panel on the second floor exploded, causing the fire. He was recovering at home after being released from Cornell Medical Center.

A yeshivah official told Hamodia that arrangements were being made to house bachurim who could not yet return to their dormitory accommodations. He said that in the wee hours of Thursday morning, about two dozen alumni and local merchants came to the aid of the yeshivah; one opened his electronics store at about 3 a.m. to supply needed items.

Wednesday’s blaze came at a particularly bad time, as the yeshivah was making final arrangements for its annual dinner Sunday. Officials said they expected the dinner to proceed on schedule.

“It’s really very hectic now, as you can imagine,” said one.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!

Hamodia Logo