(AP) – Gov. Chris Christie on Monday defended the delay in disbursing $32 million in donations to victims of Superstorm Sandy from a charity run by his wife.
The Asbury Park Press newspaper, of Neptune, reported Sunday that none of the relief money that came pouring in after the late October storm had reached victims; the first $1 million in grants was approved last week.
The governor said the Sandy relief fund was never meant to provide immediate assistance to those recovering from New Jersey’s worst natural disaster, which killed 40 residents, left three-quarters of the state without power and caused $37 billion in damage in the state.
“I’m really proud of the job she’s done and the professionalism she’s brought to the job,” he said Monday. “The fact that they’re being careful with people’s money is something that’s laudable.”
Christie’s wife, Mary Pat Christie, a hedge fund manager who took two months off from her job to oversee the charity, told the newspaper she is being methodical to ensure the money is spent properly.