The Odd Side – March 3, 2015

Seattle Woman Knocked Unconscious in Drive-By Egg Throwing Incident

SEATTLE (Reuters) – Seattle police searched on Friday for a vandal who hurled an egg at a woman standing outside a local establishment, striking her in the head and knocking her unconscious in an apparently random drive-by attack, officials said.

The woman had been standing with several friends when someone in a passing truck let loose a volley of eggs early Tuesday, Seattle police said in a news release.

One of the eggs struck the victim directly behind her ear, knocking her unconscious, police said. An employee of the establishment was also struck by an egg but wasn’t injured.

The woman’s friends helped her as she collapsed to the ground and took her to a nearby hospital for treatment, police said. Her identity and condition were not immediately released.

Experts say injuries from a jolt or strike to the head from items used as projectiles, such as an egg or tennis ball, have been known to cause injuries ranging from mild concussions to severe brain injuries, as well as death, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Seattle police said witnesses saw the passing truck and they were looking for suspects.

Oregon Sheriff Investigates Case Of ‘Stolen’ Log Cabin

(Reuters) – Sheriff’s deputies in Oregon are investigating the peculiar case of a log cabin that was reported stolen only to be found two days later less than a mile from where it was taken, authorities said Friday.

The mystery began earlier this week when a man identifying himself as a co-owner of the vacant cabin, which occupied about 1,400 square feet on a remote lot some 270 miles south of Portland, had been snatched from its foundation.

“I’ve seen a lot of scams but I’ve never seen an entire house gone missing,” said Klamath County Sheriff Frank Skrah, who has spent 40 years in law enforcement. “I was sitting in a meeting and one of the deputies from the front desk came in and said, ‘Frank, you’re not going to believe this. Someone just stole a house.’”

After some investigation, detectives found the house on Thursday about half a mile away in the Sprague River community northeast of Klamath Falls. It had been jacked up and hauled off by a hired logging company, Detective Eric Shepherd said. 

It turned out, Shepherd said, that one of three individuals claiming to hold title to the cabin had sold the property to a fourth person without informing the putative co-owner who had discovered it missing.

The man who purchased the home for $3,000 had no idea that it had been reported stolen, the sheriff said. 

Skrah said police were still trying to determine if the situation is a criminal case or a civil matter. None of the property owners, nor the buyer, could be reached for comment.

“To quote the guy who bought the place, ‘It was [quite] a steal.’ Yeah, it was [quite] a steal,” Skrah said.

Fog Machine in Art Installation Prompts False Fire Alarms 

PITTSBURGH (AP) – Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. But fog signals art, as Pittsburgh firefighters are quickly learning.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that firefighters have been called to a downtown public square at least twice — including on Thursday morning — by people who reported smoke when they saw machine-generated fog that’s part of a new art installation.

“A Winter Landscape Cradling Bits of Sparkle” by artist Jennifer Wen Ma is a small oasis of mulched trees enveloping a small, boardwalk path. The fog machine belches every 10 minutes to simulate a cloudy mountaintop.

The Office of Public Art, a public-private agency, says firefighters are being advised and the intensity of the fog bursts may be toned down to lessen the chance of future false alarms.

The installation runs through April 12.

Refracted Rays From Nutella Jar Blamed for UK House Fire 

LONDON (AP) – London’s firefighters say sun rays refracted by a Nutella jar likely caused a house fire.

The city’s fire brigade says investigators believe the glass jar — which had been emptied of the hazelnut spread — had been placed on a window sill and refracted sunlight, setting blinds alight.

According to a statement posted Tuesday by the brigade, the family was not at home but the blaze killed a dog.

Fire investigator Charlie Pugsley said: “It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire, but that’s exactly what happened.”

The fire happened Feb. 15 in southwest London.

Blind Dog Rescued After Being Lost for 2 Weeks in the Cold

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) — A blind dog who wandered away from her Ester, Alaska, home during a cold snap has been reunited with her owner.

The 11-year-old Labrador retriever named Madera ventured away from home on Feb. 6, when the temperature dipped to 40 degrees below zero.

Her owner, Ed Davis, said he didn’t expect to find her alive. “My best hope was to walk those trails and look for a track that might be hers,” he said.

A man riding a bike accompanied by a bell-wearing dog located Madera in the woods last week, about a half-mile from the Davis’ home, Fairbanks Daily News-Miner reported. Madera let out a whine when she heard the dog’s bell.

Davis said his dog lost 14 pounds but was, overall, healthy.

The man who rescued her, Constantine Khrulev, asked for the $100 reward money to go to the Fairbanks Animal Shelter Fund. Davis was so impressed by the gesture that he increased the donation to $250.