Man Who Allegedly Threatened Jews on NYC Subway Charged With Misdemeanor

By Matis Glenn

A man who allegedly threatened Jewish passengers earlier this month on a New York City subway, warning them “this is your chance to get out,” turned himself into police custody Wednesday, police said.

Anas (Ahmad) Saleh, a 24-year-old Staten Island resident, is seen on a viral video clip allegedly asking passengers on June 10 to “raise your hand if you’re a Zionist” before making the threat.

He was charged with attempted coercion as a third-degree misdemeanor, and police are not considering it a hate crime.

Amid a public outcry, the NYPD released a wanted poster with Saleh’s picture on June 19.

The incident was highlighted as one of many recent examples of antisemitic incidents, which are steadily on the rise, involving anti-Israel protestors, and prompted New York Gov. Kathy Hochul to respond and consider enforcing a mask ban for protestors. That option is also being pursued in other cities, including Los Angeles, following an attack on a shul community this week which left Jewish people hospitalized. “We will not tolerate individuals using masks to evade responsibility for criminal or threatening behavior,” Hochul said. “My team is working on a solution. But on a subway, people should not be able to hide behind a mask to commit crimes.”

Saleh’s threats were made the same night that a mob of protestors harassed attendees at a Manhattan memorial to the Israelis who were killed at a gathering on Oct. 7. Praises of Hitler and other antisemitic statements were heard at the time.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!