Scooter Charger Causes Fire in Kew Gardens Hills Day Care

By Matis Glenn

A fire in a day care center in Kew Gardens Hills Wednesday afternoon left one child injured, according to the Fire Department.

The blaze erupted at 14702 72nd Drive at around 2:15 p.m., in the heart of the Orthodox community in Kew Gardens Hills.

Fire Department arrived on the scene, and Hatzalah treated the children, some of whom had mild smoke inhalation, while one had to go to the hospital in serious condition.

Baruch Hashem the child recovered and is back home.

The fire is believed to have been started by a malfunctioning Lithium-ion scooter battery in the building.

The Fire Department urges people who own e-bikes, scooters, and other devices that require charging not to leave the units charging overnight, or unattended, and to not buy chargers not clearly designed for the unit, or from unknown companies.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!