Israeli Forces Kill Palestinian in Shootout Near Shechem

A general view of an Israeli raid in Nablus in the Israeli-occupied West Bank October 5, 2022. (Reuters/Raneen Sawafta)

SHECHEM (Reuters/Hamodia) – Israeli forces killed a Palestinian man during clashes near the city of Shechem on Wednesday, the Palestinian Health Ministry said, the latest in a series of near-daily confrontations.

At least six other Palestinians, including two journalists, were wounded by Israeli fire and dozens more were treated for tear gas inhalation, medics at the scene said.

The clashes began when Israeli forces surrounded the house of Salman Imran, claimed as a member by Hamas, in the town of Deir al-Hatab east of Shechem.

The Israeli military said in a statement that it carried out the operation to apprehend Imran, who was suspected of involvement in an attack against Israelis on Sunday. A taxi and a bus were targeted, and the taxi driver was lightly injured in the incident, which took place between the Palestinian town of Bayt Furik and the Jewish community of Elon Moreh.

Soldiers surrounded Imran’s house following precise intelligence, the statement said, and responded with live fire after he shot at the forces while barricaded inside.

Regarding the journalists, the IDF said: “A claim is being made about two members of the media who were present in the fighting area and were injured, it is not known as a result of what.”

In an audio message circulating on social media, Imran said he was engaged in a gun fight with Israeli soldiers and called on other men to join.

Witnesses said dozens of Palestinian gunmen fired at Israeli forces in an attempt to foil their operation.

Videos on social media seemed to show Imran being escorted outside his house by Israeli soldiers after hours of fighting.

The wanted man’s uncle, Bassim Imran, told Reuters he convinced his nephew to eventually turn himself in after Israeli forces fired a grenade at the multi-story family home and began knocking it with a bulldozer.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said the man who was killed, 21-year-old Alaa Zaghal, was shot in the head. Palestinian medics said he was unarmed when Israeli forces fired at him near the town’s entrance, away from where the clashes were taking place.

The Israeli military said in its statement that an assailant was killed during an exchange of fire.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!