Tens of Thousands to Make Their Way to Meron for Lag BaOmer

YERUSHALAYIM
Final preparations ahead of Lag BaOmer, at the kever of Rabi Shimon bar Yochai in Meron. (David Cohen/Flash90)

Police are preparing for tens of thousands of people who will travel to Meron on Wednesday and Thursday to celebrate Lag BaOmer, a year after 45 people were killed there.

The government carried out work at the site ahead of Lag BaOmer, demolishing illegally built structures and widening existing passageways.

Tickets to Meron needed to be pre-ordered, serving as both transportation and entry passes. Entrance to the ceremony will be staggered, and will be for a maximum of four hours.

“There are limitations on the number of people allowed on the mountain so only 16,000 will be permitted there at any given moment,” Police Northern District Chief Shimon Lavi said. “If you do not have a ticket, you simply have no business coming to Meron.”

Police roadblocks were already in place early on Wednesday.

Police said they would not be able to enforce the four-hour rule and that if there is no cooperation from the public, many will be kept away in order to maintain the limit set.

“The police will act decisively against any attempt to disrupt the celebrations,” a statement released on Tuesday read.

However, the official in charge of this year’s celebrations resigned suddenly on Tuesday, claiming he could not assume responsibility for public safety after all the necessary precautions were not in place.

The commission of inquiry into last year’s tragedy has yet to release its final findings.

The 45 yahrtzeit candles, near the tziyun.

The proceedings will begin with the traditional hadlakah, to be lit by the Boyaner Rebbe, shlita, at 8 p.m. (Israel time). Before the hadlakah, the Boyaner Rebbe is to light 45 yahrtzeit candles, in memory of the 45 neshamos of those who were niftar in Meron last Lag BaOmer.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!

Hamodia Logo