Attempted Stabbing in Old City Averted

Israeli police examine the scene of a stabbing attack in the Old City of Yerushalayim, Thursday.  (AP Photo/Mahmoud Illean)

Israeli police said Thursday that officers shot a Palestinian woman who attempted to stab them in the Old City of Yerushalayim. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The police said in a statement that the woman approached officers outside the Chain Gate (Shaar HaShalshelet), an entrance to Har HaBayis.

The knife used by the terrorist. (Police Spokesman)

“After she approached them, she drew a knife and attempted to stab the officers at the scene, who responded by shooting at her,” police said in a statement.

There were no Israeli casualties, b’chasdei Shamayim.

“The vigilance and quick response of the police to the incident led to the neutralization of the terrorist without casualties to our forces,” the police stated.

The woman’s identity was not immediately known. Palestinian media reported that she was from a town near Jenin, where tensions have run high following the escape by Palestinian prisoners from an Israeli prison.

Meanwhile, Special Forces operating against Hamas’s terror infrastructure in the Arab village of Burkin in the Jenin area on Wednesday night encountered and killed an armed terrorist.

The police stated Thursday that the Border Police’s undercover unit encountered an armed terrorist who fired at them from close range during a riot in the village. The Israeli forces returned fire and killed him.

The Carlo submachine gun used by the terrorist was seized by the Israeli forces.

Palestinian Authority sources identified the terrorist as Alaa Nasser Muhammad Zayoud, 22. He was reportedly a member of the Islamic Jihad terror organization.

The gunfight occurred as Israeli forces were working to arrest suspects and locate weapons, a continuation of the IDF’s multipronged operation that began Motzoei Shabbos to take down a Hamas terror cell that was reportedly in advanced stages of planning a series of bombings in Israeli cities.

Another five terrorists were killed in the operation in recent days, and at least four were arrested. Their interrogation has led to the exposure of weapons and explosive caches.

Two IDF soldiers from the elite Duvdevan unit who were injured in one of the operations are still hospitalized, and the hospital reported on Wednesday an improvement in their condition.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!