The Department of Sanitation of New York City (DSNY) has announced that as in past years, “chametz dumpsters” will be placed in central areas in Midwood, the “East 30s” and Marine Park to help alleviate the expected additional refuse being discarded by residents before Pesach.
This year because Erev Yom Tov falls on Shabbos, the DSNY will be providing dumpsters days earlier, starting the morning of March 24th.
“The early arrival of these dumpsters will lighten the load of refuse needing to be picked up by Sanitation workers and give individuals who find last minute chametz the ability to deposit it at a location near their home, ensuring it is all disposed before the start of Shabbos,” said Assemblywoman Weinstein, who initiated the placement of these special dumpsters more than a decade ago.
The dumpsters will be available for deposits from 8am on Wednesday, March 24th, and will be removed some time Friday afternoon, March 26th.
The locations for these dumpsters are:
- James Madison High School – Quentin Road (between Bedford Ave. and E. 26th St.)
- Nostrand Avenue at Avenue L – Andries Hudde Playground
- City Park/Derech Hatorah – 2810 Nostrand Avenue (between Kings Hwy. & P)
- Rabbi Rokeach’s Shul – 3302 Avenue P (on East 33rd Street)
- Marine Park Jewish Center – 3311 Avenue S
DSNY requested that residents not place any commercial refuse or burning objects in dumpsters. In addition, they wish to remind them to observe appropriate social distancing practices when disposing of your items.