Mahmoud Abbas’s Palestinian Authority has decided to withdraw its request for U.N. Security Council condemnation of the U.S. Mideast peace plan, according to media reports on Monday.
The Palestinians dropped the matter after it became clear it would not have the required 9 out of 15 votes on UNSC to carry the measure, and provided none of the permanent members exercise their veto, according to diplomatic sources.
Palestinian officials were quoted by Ynet saying the resolution was dropped because of “heavy pressure” on Abbas and Council members.
Meanwhile, Yisrael Hayom quoted sources close to Abbas as saying: “We pulled the request because we didn’t want to humiliate ourselves.”
The resolution had been introduced by Indonesia and Tunisia on behalf of the PA.
Sentiment at the Council apparently shifted after White House senior adviser Jared Kushner briefed the members last Thursday, and a majority expressed support for a more positive language than the Palestinians had proposed.
Meanwhile, the U.S. has suggested amendments to the proposed resolution.
A U.S. official was quoted by The Jerusalem Post as saying, “the international community has shown a desire to see the two parties negotiate and realizes that now is not the time for resolutions that won’t advance the cause of peace. The U.S. would like to have a resolution that encourages the sides to negotiate, instead of one that simply criticizes one side.”
Israeli Ambassador to the U.N. Danny Danon told the Post that American pressure had proven effective. “We see that the current wording of the resolution is better than the original version,” he said. “Instead of condemnation of the US and the peace plan, the new resolution does not mention the U.S. by name and simply calls to respect previous decisions.”
Updated Monday, February 10, 2020 at 2:55 pm updated