Bedlam in Courtroom as Judge Decides Terrorist to Be Freed Soon

Vladimir Lubrasky, father of the late IDF Duvdevan soldier Ronen Lubrasky killed in a terror attack, speaks during a a rally of the bereaved families of Kim Yechezkel and Ziv Hajabi, who were murdered in the terror attack in Barkan, at Rabin Square in Tel Aviv, on December 15, 2018. (Flash90)

Family members and spectators in the courtroom protested loudly on Wednesday as the Shomron military court sentenced Amjad Nalaweh, the brother of terrorist Ashraf Nalaweh, to a year in prison for his role in the terror attack carried out by his brother. Amjad Nalaweh was sentenced to a year in prison and a year probation for failing to report that his brother had a weapon that he would eventually use to murder Israelis, and for attempting to interfere with the investigation against Ashraf Nalaweh.

Ashraf Nalaweh is the terrorist who last October murdered Ziv Hajabi, Hy”d, and Kim Levengard Yechezkel, Hy”d, in a terror attack in the Barkan industrial zone near Ariel. In the attack, Nalaweh murdered Hajabi and Yechezkel in the offices of Alon Metal Works in the Barkan Industrial Zone, where he worked. Nalaweh arrived for work in the morning, carrying with him an assault rifle hidden under his clothing. As a regular employee with a work permit, he was admitted to the grounds of the industrial zone without too much scrutiny, security officials said.

Amjad Nalaweh has been in custody for ten months, and the sentence imposed includes time already served – so he will be getting out of prison in two months. Upon hearing the verdict, family members and supporters started shouting at the judge and the defense attorney for the defendant. Witnesses told Channel 20 that the attorney began cursing the family and left the courtroom, spitting in direction of the family when he reentered. An angry protest ensued outside the courtroom, with family members and supporters demanding a much harsher sentence for the terrorist.

Attorney Chaim Bleicher of the Honenu organization, who represented the families of the victims, said that “the defendant is a terrorist who helped murder two heads of families, who lived with the murderer and knew that he had a weapon he intended to use to kill Jews. He also knew that the IDF was searching homes for weapons. The law clearly requires individuals who are aware of an impending terror attack to report it, and it was very clear in this case that an attack was in the offing. Imposing harsh sentences is a basic element in preventing terror attacks. Unfortunately the court failed in its work, and we will appeal in order to correct this injustice.”