Gas prices will be going up beginning Tuesday night. The new maximum price for a liter of 95 octane gas will be NIS 6.51 ($6.94/gallon). The price increase of 19 agurot from current levels follows an increase last month, which was 16 agurot.
Gas prices in Israel are government-controlled, in that a maximum price is set (although many gas stations discount gas for members of their customer club). The prices are set at the end of the calendar month, and are based on deliberations made by a committee comprised of representatives of the Economy and Infrastructure Ministries. The price is usually tied to the international price of crude oil, which has shot up in recent weeks.
While the price per liter of gas is high, it should be noted that the actual refined gasoline in a liter of Israeli gas accounts for only 39% of the pump price – with taxes accounting for the other 61%.