The Moetzes Gedolei HaTorah of Degel HaTorah convened on Sunday night at the home of Hagaon Harav Chaim Kanievsky, shlita, in Bnei Brak prior to submitting the lists of the 21st Knesset.
The meeting, led by Harav Kanievsky, was attended by Hageonim: Harav Gershon Edelstein, shlita, Harav Moshe Hillel Hirsch, shlita, Harav Baruch Dov Povarsky, shlita; Harav Yitzchak Sheiner, shlita; Harav Baruch Mordechai Ezrachi, shlita; Harav Moshe Yehuda Schlesinger, shlita; Harav Yitzchak Zilberstein, shlita; and Harav Dovid Cohen, shlita. Absent from the meeting were Harav Nissim Karelitz, shlita; and Harav Meir Zvi Bergman, shlita.
The party’s chairman, MK Rabbi Moshe Gafni, spoke at the meeting. Harav Gershon Edelstein, Harav Baruch Mordechai Ezrachi and Harav Baruch Dov Povarsky also spoke.
After a discussion between the Rabbanim, Secretary of the Moetzes and Mayor of Bnei Brak Rabbi Avraham Rubinstein read the decisions of the Moetzes Gedolei HaTorah:
- The Moetzes supports and stands behind the representatives of United Torah Judaism in the Knesset who stand guard over the Torah here in our Holy Land. The Moetzes calls upon the government to allow Torah scholars and anyone who wants to, to learn Torah without interruption.
- The Moetzes calls for an end to the chillulei Shabbos in Eretz Yisrael and for the representatives to work to strengthen the observance of Shabbos.
- The Moetzes strengthens the heads and directors of the yeshivos and kollelim and calls on supporters of Torah to increase their support for those who study Torah.
- The Moetzes names Rabbi Moshe Gafni, Rabbi Uri Maklev, Rabbi Yaakov Asher, Rabbi Yitzchak Pindrus, Rabbi Eliyahu Baruchi, Rabbi David Ohana and Rabbi Yitzchak Reich, to be the candidates of Degel HaTorah for the next Knesset and blesses them that they make a kiddush Hashem and increase kevod Shamayim.
- The Moetzes supports those involved in the success of the United Torah Judaism list and calls upon the representatives of Degel HaTorah and anyone who can influence others to increase the number of voters for UTJ. All those who help increase voters are making a kiddush Shem Shamayim in their actions.
- The Moetzes appeals to all kollelim and yeshivos to constantly strengthen their Torah study and to be careful in the matters of bein adam l’chaveiro, and these efforts will stand to our success in the elections.
Rabbi Rubinstein also read and ratified the agreement signed with Agudas Yisrael.
The last time the Moetzes met was on the eve of municipal elections four months ago. It should be noted that the gathering and the participation of Gedolei Yisrael in this meeting itself gives a clear and unequivocal statement regarding their backing and support of United Torah Judaism and its representatives.