Three Arabs Arrested in Connection With Har Adar Terror Attack

IDF soldiers arrest the brother of Palestinian terrorist Mahmoud Ahmad Gamal in Beit Suriq. (Reuters/Ammar Awad)

Security officials on Tuesday arrested three Palestinian Authority Arabs who had been in contact with Mahmoud Ahmad Gamal, the terrorist who earlier Tuesday had murdered three Israelis at a checkpoint in the town of Har Adar, north of Yerushalayim. The three victims were Ohr Arish, Hy”d, a 25-year-old resident of Har Adar, Solomon Gevriya, Hy”d, a 20-year-old Border Guard officer and resident of Be’er Yaakov, and Yussuf Othman, z”l, a resident of the Arab town of Abu Ghosh. Injured in the attack was a fourth Israeli, the chief security officer of Har Adar, who is in moderate condition in Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Yerushalayim.

The levayos for the victims were announced Tuesday afternoon. Gevriya will be interred at the military section of the Be’er Yaakov cemetery at 4 p.m., while the levayah for Arish will be held at 4:30 in Har Adar. Othman, who was to be married next month, will be laid to rest at 4:30 in the new cemetery in Abu Ghosh.

Security officers entered the village of Beit Suriq, where Gamal lived. As they approached his house, they were met by a large Arab mob throwing stones, firebombs and bricks at them. The officers finally got to the house, where they questioned family members, who claimed they had no prior knowledge of Gamal’s intentions. IDF soldiers surrounded the village and blocked off exits and entrances. The checkpoint, where thousands of Arabs with work permits cross into Israel for jobs, is closed until further notice.

Gamal was a 37-year-old father of four, recently separated from his wife, who fled to Jordan because of a domestic dispute. Gamal had worked in Israel for years, security officials said, and was well aware of the protocols at checkpoints. The three Israelis were murdered by Gamal at a checkpoint outside the town of Har Adar, north of Yerushalayim, where thousands of PA workers enter Israel daily. The terrorist was part of a group that had been ushered into Har Adar via the checkpoint, from where they were to proceed to their jobs. Channel Two reported that Gamal had raised security concerns even before he passed through the security fence; security personnel met him outside the fence, and he pulled out a handgun and shot them, killing three and injuring one. The terrorist was immediately killed by other security personnel.


To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!