U.S., Japanese Defense Chiefs Confer on North Korea Missile Launches

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -
U.S., Japanese Defense Chiefs Confer on North Korea Missile Launches: Hamodia Jewish News
U.S. Defense Minister Jim Mattis, shown here speaking at the Munich Security Conference last month. (AP Photo/Matthias Schrader)

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Japanese Defense Minister Tomomi Inada conferred on North Korea’s missile launches in a telephone call on Monday, the Pentagon said, adding that both leaders agreed that the launches were “unacceptable and irresponsible.”

“Secretary Mattis reaffirmed that the United States remains steadfast in its defense commitments to Japan including its extended deterrence commitment,” Pentagon spokesman Navy Captain Jeff Davis said in a statement.

North Korea fired four ballistic missiles into the sea off Japan’s northwest coast on Monday, angering South Korea and Japan, days after it promised retaliation over U.S.-South Korea military drills it sees as preparation for war.