Residents of the Shikun Gimmel neighborhood of Bnei Brak were shocked Wednesday morning when they arrived at one of the main shuls in the neighborhood, and discovered a fire that had apparently been set by arsonists. The fire was still burning when the first members of the early minyan arrived at the building. They called firefighters, and themselves attempted to hold back the fire before it reached sefarim and sifrei Torah.
The fire was started at the entrance to the shul and had spread to a bathroom. It did not reach the shul itself. The shul is located in a refurbished caravan on Rechov Yael in Shikkun Gimmel.
Residents of the neighborhood expressed shock over the incident. Police have opened an investigation.