Turkish Authorities Detain 3 More Over Airport Attack

(AP) -
Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, center, visits Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, after Tuesday's blasts, Saturday July 2, 2016. Tuesday's gunfire and suicide bombing attack at Ataturk Airport killed dozens and injured over 200. Turkish authorities have banned distribution of images relating to the Ataturk airport attack within Turkey. (Kayhan Ozer, Presidential Press Service, Pool via AP)
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, (C), visits Ataturk Airport in Istanbul, after last week’s blasts, July 2. (Kayhan Ozer, Presidential Press Service, Pool via AP)

Turkey’s state-run news agency says authorities have detained three new suspects in connection with the attack at Istanbul’s airport that killed at least 44 people.

Anadolu Agency didn’t identify the suspects or specify their nationalities.

It said Sunday the total number of those detained in relation to the shooting and suicide attack at the airport is now 27. Thirteen suspects, including three foreigners, have been referred to Istanbul’s Bakirkoy Court after undergoing medical checks, according to the report.

Three terrorists armed with assault rifles and suicide bombs stormed Istanbul’s Ataturk Airport on Tuesday night. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack, but Turkish officials say they believe it was the work of the Islamic State terror group, which is based in neighboring Syria and Iraq and has operatives in Turkey.