Shomron Resident Fends Off Terrorists, Recovering From Light Injuries

Roy Harel, a resident of the jewish settlement of Eli is seen at the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem on March 2, 2016, Roy Harel was lightly wounded early on Wednesday morning during a knife attack of Two Palestinian attackers at the Eli settlement in the West Bank. Photo by Yonatan Sindel/Flash90 *** Local Caption *** רועי הראל עלי התנחלות פצוע דקירה פיגוע גיבור
Ro’i Harel is seen at the Shaare Tzedek Hospital in Yerushalayim on Wednesday, after he was lightly wounded early in the morning. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)

A resident of the Shomron town of Eli was hospitalized Wednesday morning with light injuries after terrorists attempted to attack him. Speaking to Channel Ten, Ro’i Harel said that he was attacked as he left his home early Wednesday. “I was on my way out of the house to do my IDF reserve service, and when I opened the door, I saw two terrorists standing there with hatred in their eyes.”

The terrorists fell upon Harel, injuring him lightly with wooden clubs. He defended himself, and they ran away. IDF troops launched an intensive search, eventually catching up with them not far from the town. Soldiers opened fire and eliminated them. The IDF said the forces opened fire “upon the significant threat to the people of the community.”

A search of the area yielded a gun that the two had been carrying but had apparently dropped. A knife they had been carrying was not used, either.

Harel was hospitalized with injuries to the head at Shaare Tzedek Hospital in Yerushalayim.

Speaking after the incident, Harel said that he had been stunned by the attackers, but regained his equilibrium within a few seconds. “All the time I was thinking to myself that I could not allow what happened to the Gavish and Fogel families to happen to my family,” he said. Both those families, residents of Shomron, were victims of terror attacks in which terrorists invaded their homes and killed multiple family members.

The Palestinian Health Ministry said the two terrorists were both 17, from the adjacent village of Qaryout.