Police Charge Man Over London Terrorist Incident

LONDON (Reuters) -
A police officer patrols outside Leytonstone Underground station in east London, Britain December 6, 2015. A man wielding a knife slashed a man in the east London metro station on Saturday, reportedly screaming "this is for Syria," before police used a stun gun to subdue him in what they described as a terrorist incident. REUTERS/Suzanne Plunkett TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY
A police officer patrols outside Leytonstone underground station in east London, Sunday. (Reuter/Suzanne Plunkett)

British detectives have charged a man with attempted murder after a knife attack at an east London metro station on Saturday night which was described by police as a terrorist incident.

Police said 29-year-old Muhaydin Mire of East London would appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court later on Monday.

One man suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries in the attack at Leytonstone underground station while a second person suffered minor injuries.

Eyewitnesses said the attacker had reportedly shouted out “This is for Syria!”

Britain is on its second-highest security alert level, “severe,” meaning a terror attack is considered highly likely, though not imminent, mainly because of the threat posed by Islamic State terrorists in Syria and Iraq.

Last week, British war planes joined for the first time in air strikes against IS fighters in Syria.