Terror Attacks in Yerushalayim, Romema

YERUSHALAYIM (Hamodia Staff) —
Israeli policemen detain a Palestinian suspect (C) at a construction site near the area of a stabbing in Yerushalayim on Sunday. (REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun)
Israeli policemen detain a Palestinian suspect (C) at a construction site near the area of a stabbing in Yerushalayim on Sunday. (REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun)

Two terror attacks took place in Yerushalayim within just three hours of each other on Sunday — the first involving a border police officer at Damascus Gate of the Old City of Yerushalayim, the second victim a Nepalese national who was waiting for a bus in the Romema neighborhood.

A 38-year-old Palestinian walked past two officers just outside Damascus Gate to the Old City, then yelled “All-hu Akbar” before stabbing one of them in the neck, moderately wounding him. Other officers opened fire at the attacker and shot him dead. Another knife was later found on his body, according to police spokeswoman Luba Samri. Later, a Palestinian stabbed Hisorai Taplaya, a 30-year-old foreign worker from Nepal.

From her hospital bed she recounted how she had been listening to music with headphones. It was her day off from work.

“He passed by me, a young guy, and he put a knife or something in me,” Taplaya said. “He ran away and I couldn’t find anyone to help me, so I had to cross the street where there was a bus.”

“I was very scared. First and foremost, I wanted someone to help me,” she said. A bus driver come to her aid, calling police and paramedics to the scene.

“I sat on the bus and lost a lot of blood,” she told reporters.

She sustained moderate wounds from the attack and was evacuated to Shaare Zedek Medical Center for medical treatment.

A police manhunt subsequently led to the arrest at a nearby construction site of a 17-year-old Palestinian who admitted involvement in the attack, according to Israel Police. A video showed the terrorist being led into custody by a phalanx of at least 20 security personnel as Israelis watched and applauded.

On Friday, two Palestinians rammed vehicles into Israeli soldiers in separate attacks in Yehudah and Shomron, and were then shot dead, Israeli police and the military said.

Near the city of Chevron, a Palestinian drove his car into a group of Israeli soldiers, wounding six, before being shot dead.

A few hours earlier another Palestinian rammed his car into Israeli soldiers at a bus stop at Bayt Umar junction in southern Gush Etzion. He was shot dead by a civilian and two Israeli soldiers were injured.

Security forces arrested 15 Palestinian terror suspects in overnight raids on Motzoei Shabbos in Yehudah and Shomron.

The arrests included four Hamas members, in Shechem, Beit Awa, southwest of Chevron and Adna, west of the city.

Soldiers also seized an M-16 assault rifle, a handgun and ammunition.

To Read The Full Story

Are you already a subscriber?
Click to log in!