IS Claims Tunisia Attack, Suspected Bomber’s Body Found

TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) -

The body of a suspected suicide bomber was found at the scene of an attack on Tunisia’s presidential guard, and the Islamic State group claimed responsibility Wednesday for the attack that left 13 people dead.

Tuesday’s attack on a bus carrying Tunisia’s presidential guards involved about 10 kilograms (22 pounds) of military explosives, the Interior Ministry said.

The blast rattled the country after a particularly violent year. If the Islamic State group was indeed behind it, it is the latest of several major attacks in Europe and the Mideast seeding terror well beyond its base in Syria and Iraq.

Tunisian authorities discovered the body of a 13th person in the bus, believed to be the “terrorist who caused the explosion,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement Wednesday.

Ministry spokesman Walid Louguini told The Associated Press on Wednesday that the 13th body couldn’t be immediately identified. The ministry said a DNA analysis of the body is underway.

The government declared the blast a terrorist attack and imposed a 30-day nationwide state of emergency, with troops fanned out across the capital.

Earlier this year, the country suffered two major attacks by Islamic terrorists that targeted tourist sites.