IDF Soldier Stabbed at Gush Etzion Junction

YERUSHALAYIM (Hamodia Staff) -
Israeli security forces at the site of the terror attack near the Gush Etzion junction, Tuesday. (Gershon Elinson/Flash90)
Israeli security forces at the site of the terror attack near the Gush Etzion junction, Tuesday. (Gershon Elinson/Flash90)

In the latest attack, on Tuesday evening, a 19-year-old IDF soldier was stabbed and wounded by terrorists on Route 60 in Gush Etzion. His condition was listed as moderate.

The attack occurred when soldiers stationed at the busy Gush Etzion junction spotted two suspicious people, whom they approached for questioning. At that point, one terrorist stabbed a soldier. Soldiers opened fire and killed the terrorists, according to the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit.

MDA medic Jabber Azzat told reporters that the soldier was evacuated by ambulance to the Shaare Zedek Medical Center in moderate but stable condition with a wound to his face.

“When we arrived he was conscious and standing,” said Jabar. An IDF medical team treated him at the scene before he was evacuated.

Near the same location Monday, near the entrance to the Palestinian village of Beit Einun, a Palestinian stabbed and seriously injured a soldier.

Sections of Route 60 were closed temporarily following the incident.

Gush Etzion Regional Council head Davidi Perl, who arrived at the scene, said the attack would not deter area residents from continuing with normal life.

“We will continue to live here and fight terrorism. We will not give up,” Perl said.

Hours later, a soldier prevented an attempted stabbing attack at a junction at the entrance to Tel Rumeida in Chevron. The attacker tried to stab a soldier on duty and was shot dead.

Police also arrested two young Palestinian women in the morning after two large knives were found in their backpacks.

The women approached the security checkpoint leading to Maaras Hamachpelah, and were asked to hand over their bags for inspection. They refused and began yelling, “We came to free Palestine.”

Meanwhile, two Arabs in Yerushalayim were evidently undeterred from seeking to commit violent attacks, as a police officer thwarted a stabbing Tuesday.

The officer, on his way to work, noticed them near IDF square looking nervous and acting suspiciously. He stopped to observe them, and it turned out they were carrying an axe and a knife.

The 16- and 17-year-old residents of the A-Tur neighborhood were taken in for questioning.