Clinton Aides Agree to Preserve Emails After Judge’s Order

WASHINGTON (AP) -

Two aides to former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton have agreed not to delete any work-related documents following an order from a federal judge that they preserve the records, according to their lawyers.

The pledges from Huma Abedin and Cheryl Mills are contained in court documents submitted by the State Department as a part of a public records lawsuit brought by the conservative group Judicial Watch.

That lawsuit sought records related to Clinton’s tenure as secretary of state, including documents about the work of Abedin, Clinton’s deputy chief of staff at the time.

U.S. District Judge Emmet Sullivan last week ordered Abedin and Mills to preserve their emails and records, which their lawyers say they have agreed to do.

The back-and-forth — in the same week that Clinton provided the Justice Department her private email server — suggests that trusted Clinton aides may also face scrutiny over emails and records in their possession.

In addition, Clinton’s lawyer, David Kendall, confirmed in a letter dated Wednesday that he last week voluntarily gave the Justice Department a thumb drive, along with two copies, containing roughly 30,000 emails from Clinton’s tenure. Her presidential campaign made that acknowledgment on Tuesday as part of what it said was an effort to cooperate with a federal inquiry into the security of Clinton’s email setup.

Clinton said in March she had exchanged about 60,000 emails during her four years in the Obama administration, about half of which were personal and deleted. She turned over the others to the State Department, which is reviewing and releasing them on a monthly basis.