A fund set up by General Motors will make 398 compensation offers to people killed or injured in accidents involving faulty ignition switches.
The fund says the switches were responsible for 124 deaths and 274 injuries. Victims’ families are being offered at least $1 million each.
The fund, administered by attorney Kenneth Feinberg, finished processing the 4,342 claims it received by the Jan. 31 deadline. Of those, 91 percent were deemed ineligible.
Fund spokeswoman Camille Biros said Tuesday that 298 of the 396 offers made so far have been accepted. Five have been rejected. The fund plans to make two more offers, bringing the total to 398.
GM recalled 2.6 million small cars last year, but acknowledged it knew about the ignition-switch problems for more than a decade.