In the wake of last week’s tragedy, Councilmen David Greenfield and Mark Treyger will hold a fire safety event in Midwood.
The seminar, to be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday at Congregation Shaare Zion at 2030 Ocean Parkway, will offer advice on what to do when a dangerous situation erupts. The first 250 people to attend will also receive a free smoke detector sponsored by Renewal.
“The tragic fire this past Shabbat that resulted in the death of seven precious children has shaken our entire community,” Greenfield said. “We have an obligation to have a teaching moment now.”
While hot-plate fires are exceedingly rare (about one tenth of 1 percent of all fires), cooking-related fires are the leading cause of home fires.