A gas explosion has again rocked a house at the New Jersey shore.
A 47-year-old Point Pleasant Beach man suffered burns over 40 to 50 percent of his body early Monday when his house exploded. He awoke at 1:40 a.m. and smelled a strong odor of natural gas. He walked into a bathroom and flipped the light switch to turn it on when the building exploded.
He was taken to the burn unit at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. Authorities would only give his condition as “stable,” but patients taken there are usually in critical condition when they arrive.
It was the second gas explosion at the Jersey shore in less than a week. Last Tuesday, a natural gas explosion destroyed a home in Stafford Township, about 30 miles south of Point Pleasant Beach. It injured 15 people, two critically. That was attributed to a cracked 2-inch gas main under the street in front of the home that allowed natural gas to flow into the home’s basement along a water pipe.