Restaurants and commercial buildings statewide will be required starting in June to install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors after Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation into law this week.
Sponsors say they are intended to extend the requirement for the detectors already in place for apartments and one- and two-family homes. They noted that a carbon monoxide leak from a malfunctioning water heater pipe recently killed a Long Island restaurant manager and sickened nearly 30 people.
The colorless, odorless gas comes from incomplete combustion. Milder symptoms from inhaling it include dizziness, headaches and confusion.