The condition of Yehudah Glick, who was shot by a terrorist in Yerushalayim last week, is “slowly improving,” Shaarei Tzedek Medical Center said on Sunday.
The 49-year-old Glick remains in serious condition, anesthetized and connected to a respirator, after being shot four times in the upper body at close range.
Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu conveyed a get-well message to Glick at the weekly cabinet meeting on Sunday. He said that he had spoken with Glick’s wife and father to wish him a speedy recovery on behalf of the Israeli government.
Meanwhile, Glick’s case was part of a heated debate at the weekly Cabinet meeting and a Knesset committee meeting on Sunday, according to Arutz Sheva.
Jewish Home Chairman Naftali Bennett lashed out at Internal Security Minister Yitzchak Aharonovich over the shooting and the security situation in general. Bennett noted that no fewer than five death threats were made against Glick before the shooting — and that, not only did police ignore the threats, but that one senior police officer once called Glick “the most dangerous man in Israel” —inspiring incitement himself.
Hours later on Sunday, police officials were on the firing line at the Knesset Committee for Internal Security. Committee Chairman MK Miri Regev (Likud) declared that the “writing was on the wall” in Glick’s case, and harangued Police Commissioner Yohanan Danino for not acting sooner and more effectively to restore order in the capital.
MK Moti Yogev (Jewish Home) went further, accusing Danino of falsifying police reports, noting that “anyone who says that rock-throwing in Silwan has declined recently is disconnected from reality.”
Danino responded in kind: “Anyone who does not say there is a decline in rioting and rock-throwing is disconnected from reality,” and insisted that police are actually doing more than in the past to keep order at Har Habayis.
“There is no Intifada, but rock-throwing will not be totally stopped,” Danino said.