Day Care Aide Who Served Bleach Is Fired

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (AP) -
Children from the Growing Tree Learning Center II on Thursday are led to an EMT bus to be tested at the Jersey City Medical Center. (AP Photo/The Jersey Journal, Joe Shine)
Children from the Growing Tree Learning Center II on Thursday are led to an EMT bus to be tested at the Jersey City Medical Center. (AP Photo/The Jersey Journal, Joe Shine)

An employee has been fired and a New Jersey day care center reopened Friday, one day after more than two dozen children and adults were accidentally served a mix of water and bleach.

The parent company of the Growing Tree Learning II in Jersey City said the center opened after several state and local agencies investigated Thursday’s incident, in which 28 children and two adults ingested the bleach. The substitute teacher’s aide mistakenly poured drinks from a bottle that was being used to clean tables.

The adults and children had complained of nausea, lightheadedness and stomachaches.

Jersey City Medical Center-Barnabas Health contacted a poison control center for guidance and treated the patients by giving them liquids, said hospital spokesman Mark Rabson. All were released Thursday afternoon.