It will be an October trial for the driver in the crash last year in which Reb Nachman and Raizy Glauber, z”l, lost their lives along with their baby born prematurely, a Brooklyn state judge said on Wednesday.
Julio Acevedo has pleaded not guilty to criminally negligent homicide. A lesser charge accuses him of leaving the scene of the accident. He could face up to life in prison if convicted.
“On Oct. 14, I will bring you to Brooklyn,” Judge Neil Firetog told Acevedo, who is currently being held without bail and appeared in court via videoconference. “We will be doing a hearing on the 14th and pick a jury on the 15th.”
Prosecutors say Acevedo was traveling nearly 70 miles per hour — more than twice the speed limit — on March 3, 2013, when he crashed into a car service carrying the Glaubers. Mrs. Glauber, who like her husband was 21 years old, had been on the way to the hospital two days after Purim amid concern for her unborn child.
Acevedo, then 44, turned himself in to police at a Pennsylvania parking lot days later.
The tragedy shook the Jewish community, with thousands attending the double levayah.
The case will be prosecuted by Gayle Dampf, an assistant district attorney for the vehicular crimes bureau.