Three rockets were fired at Be’er Sheva from the Gaza Strip early Tuesday afternoon, an IDF spokesman says.
The launches are the first since the current ceasefire between Israel and Hamas was announced, as of midnight of Wednesday last week.
The rockets fell in open areas outside the city and caused no injuries or damage.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu’s spokesperson Mark Regev calls the rocket attack a “grave and direct violation of the ceasefire to which Hamas committed itself.” He noted that this is the “eleventh ceasefire that Hamas has either rejected or violated.”
The IDF says it has carried out a series of airstrikes across the Gaza Strip in response to the renewed rocket fire.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon have instructed the Israeli delegation at the Cairo talks to return to Israel because of the ceasefire violation by Hamas.