$2.5B in Sandy Aid Headed to N.Y., N.J.

NEW YORK (AP) -

A plan is in place for disbursing nearly $2.5 billion in additional federal aid to New Jersey, New York City and New York state for Superstorm Sandy recovery, a government official said Friday.

The third round of funding under the community development block grant program will bring the total amount headed to the city and two state governments to nearly $13 billion, a major piece of the $50 billion Congress approved last year to pay for recovery of the October 2012 storm. The aid is particularly noteworthy because it’s the piece of federal aid the state governments and New York City get to distribute as they see fit.

Much of the money is being used to pay for home repairs not covered by other government programs or insurance.

New York City’s allocation includes $640 million for housing recovery. Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday that the money ensures the city will be able to support all of the approximately 20,000 homeowners in its Build-It-Back rebuilding and repair program.

The federal government now has about $1.1 billion left to distribute. No plan has been announced for how that remaining money will be used.