The latest edition of the Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary has many new words, which reflect the times. Here are some of the top new words and definitions added:
- cap-and-trade adj (1995): relating to or being a system that caps the amount of carbon emissions a given company may produce but allows it to buy rights to produce additional emissions from a company that does not use the equivalent amount of its own allowance
- catfish n (1612): a person who sets up a false personal profile on a social networking site for fraudulent or deceptive purposes
- freegan n (2006): an activist who scavenges for free food (as in waste receptacles at stores and restaurants) as a means of reducing consumption of resources
- hashtag n (2008): a word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that classifies or categorizes the accompanying text, such as a tweet
- selfie n (2002): an image of oneself taken by oneself using a digital camera.