A London man who claimed he was assaulted in a knockout attack while in Boro Park for a chasunah early Tuesday morning told a radio show Thursday that he was unsure of the descriptions he gave police of the alleged assaulters but denied saying that it never occurred.
According to multiple media reports, New York City police officials said that the 65-year-old man recanted his tale of a knockout attack, a sick game played by some minority teens who try to knock out a victim with a single blow. The “game” occurred in several Orthodox neighborhoods in New York last year but stopped, persumably due to the cold weather and a police crackdown.
Reports of the early Tuesday morning attack on McDonald Ave. near 18th Ave. have rattled the community. Police cruisers were seen watching the area overnight since then and Shomrim have stepped up patrols.
But the man told Councilman David Greenfield on his show that he was attacked by two people who bloodied his face. He lay dazed on the ground for about 15 minutes before walking to the place where he was staying where Hatzolah took him to the hospital. He flew home to England on Wednesday.