200 Terror Incidents at Kever Rochel in 2013

YERUSHALAYIM -

A reported 200 terror incidents at Kever Rochel in 2013 has prompted the Knesset to look into the matter and possibly approve additional measures to protect the holy site, Arutz Sheva said on Wednesday.

The Interior Committee discussed a bill presented by MK David Azulai (Shas) which cited the “continuous harassment of Jews visiting Kever Rochel.”

The 1993 Oslo Accords guaranteed Jewish worshippers access to the site, but, said Azulai, “if this is what the agreements look like, we need to be very concerned.”

Arab mobs frequently hurl explosives at visitors, police and soldiers at the site.

Massive security walls surround the area. Nevertheless, last year 119 explosives were thrown during 78 of the incidents.

“There are no limitations on the IDF in using force,” noted an operations officer from the IDF’s Central Command at the discussion Tuesday. He added that “there’s a downward tendency in the terror incidents,” likely referencing the Pillar of Defense time frame.

MK Yisrael Eichler (United Torah Judaism) said he was “shocked by the numbers.”

The Border Police take “quick and aggressive” action in response to attempted terrorist attacks, according to testimony from Shachar Fireman, manager of the site. He told the committee that on Rochel’s yahrtzeit about 100,000 visitors come to the site.

The committee will meet again for a follow-up in a few months, to decide if tougher measures are needed to prevent the harassment.