One of the children who has been critically ill from poisoning last week, Yitzchak Gross, 7, was able to breathe on his own as of Monday night, Arutz Sheva reported.
Professor Joseph Perez, Director of Schneider Medical Center in Petach Tikva, announced that the boy was taken off the Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) machine, which reproduces heart and lung function for patients in intensive care.
His condition is said to be showing continued improvement, though he remains sedated.
His brother, Michael Gross, 5, was reported in stable condition.
Schneider Medical Center is one of the few hospitals in Israel equipped with the ECMO machines, which are crucial for the treatment of phosphine poisoning. No known antidote exists for the poison.
Parents Shimon and Michal Gross have been sitting shivah for their two girls, Yael and Avigayil (2 and 4), a”h, who were killed in the poisoning, and have been visiting the boys in the hospital.
They ask the public to continue praying for the boys’ recovery; their names are Raphael Yitzchak Isaac ben Michal, and Chaim Michael Shlomo ben Michal.
The children’s grandmother, Tzipora Gross, also thanked the public and the news media after receiving the update.
“We appreciate and thank everyone for everything they’ve done for us,” she said. “Every newspaper, every news channel has touched on this and we believe that everyone has had a part in this.”